Sunday was already set up to be exciting for Somerset, as Luis Severino made another rehab start. Little did Patriots fans realize just how exciting it would be. Elsewhere, Scranton rallied to beat the WooSox and Hudson Valley lost its third straight.
Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders (49-30): A clutch two-run rally in the eighth inning lifted Scranton to a series-concluding 4-3 win over Worcester.
- Star of the Game: Matt Krook – 7 IP, 1 H, 2 ER, 1 BB, 11 K, 92 pitches (59 strikes). Krook was nothing short of dominant, easily setting a season high for strikeouts and completing seven innings for the first time this year
- Greg Allen: 3-for-4, 2 doubles, 1 run scored, 1 strikeout
- Ryan LaMarre: 2-for-4, 1 home run (4), 2 RBI, 1 run scored, 1 walk, 2 strikeouts. LaMarre’s solo jack opened the scoring in the third
- Brandon Wagner: 2-for-4, 1 run scored, 1 strikeout
- Jason Lopez: 2-for-4, 1 double, 1 RBI, 1 strikeout. Lopez came through with a game-tying double in the eighth inning and set the stage for the winning run to score on a wild pitch by former Yankee prospect Kaleb Ort
- Nick Green: 1 IP, 2 H, 1 ER, 1 BB, 3 K, 28 pitches (17 strikes). Green earned the win in relief
- Greg Weissert: 1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K, 16 pitches (7 strikes). Weissert’s save was his first for Scranton
Somerset Patriots (51-32): Luis Severino, Shawn Semple, and Ron Marinaccio combined to no-hit the Bowie Baysox while striking out 11 and only allowing a single baserunner – Marinaccio’s walk of Zach Watson with one out in the ninth. The final score was 7-0, and the no-no was the first in Patriots franchise history.
- Star of the Game: Shawn Semple – 4 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 5 K, 40 pitches (29 strikes). Semple and Severino had identical pitching lines, but Semple took the victory and lowered his Double-A season ERA to 3.11
- Hitting Star of the Game: Oswald Peraza – 2-for-4, 1 home run (7), 2 RBI, 2 runs scored, 1 strikeout. Peraza went deep as part of a three-run fourth inning that basically put the game away given how dominant the Patriots pitching looked
- Oswaldo Cabrera: 1-for-4, 1 RBI, 1 run scored
- Josh Breaux: 2-for-4, 1 RBI
- Dermis Garcia: 1-for-3, 2 RBI, 1 walk, 1 strikeout
- Frederick Cuevas: 1-for-3, 1 home run (1), 1 RBI, 1 run scored, 1 strikeout. Cuevas’ first homer of the year began the fourth-inning onslaught
- Luis Severino: 4 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 5 K, 48 pitches (36 strikes)
- Ron Marinaccio: 1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K, 15 pitches (8 strikes)
Hudson Valley Renegades (53-31): Despite five extra-base hits and another gem from Randy Vasquez, the ‘Gades couldn’t cash in as they blew a save opportunity in the ninth and suffered a walk-off loss to Brooklyn, 5-4.
- Star of the Game: Everson Pereira – 1-for-2, 1 home run (1), 2 RBI, 1 run scored, 2 walks, 1 strikeout, 1 stolen base. Pereira stuffed the stat sheet including his first homer at High-A with two outs in the third inning
- Pitching Star of the Game: Randy Vasquez – 5.2 IP, 7 H, 1 ER, 0 BB, 11 K, 81 pitches (60 strikes). Vasquez worked around some trouble and delivered another clinical masterpiece. In his first four starts at High-A, his strikeout totals have been the following: 8, 9, 10, and 11
- Anthony Volpe: 2-for-4, 1 run scored, 1 walk, 1 strikeout, 2 stolen bases
- Austin Wells: 1-for-4, 1 double, 1 run scored, 1 strikeout, 1 stolen base
- Andres Chaparro: 1-for-4, 1 double, 1 RBI, 2 strikeouts
- Jake Sanford: 1-for-4, 1 triple, 1 strikeout
- Pablo Olivares: 1-for-4, 1 double, 1 run scored, 1 strikeout
- Charlie Ruegger: 1 IP, 2 H, 1 ER, 0 BB, 0 K, 11 pitches (7 strikes)
- Carlos Espinal: 1.1 IP, 1 H, 1 ER, 0 BB, 1 K, 20 pitches (12 strikes)
- Derek Craft: 0.2 IP, 2 H, 2 ER, 0 BB, 0 K, 10 pitches (8 strikes). Craft was handed a one-run lead for a save opp and couldn’t convert, giving up a single and a sac bunt and then following a steal of third base, a triple to tie the score and a sac fly to win it
Tampa Tarpons (56-26): Rain scuttled the series finale between the Tarpons and Hammerheads. As the teams don’t meet again this season, the game will not be made up.
You must be logged in to post a comment.