Somerset put together one of its most exciting wins of the season, while Renegades pitching shut down Wilmington and the weather stymied the Tarpons for the second day in a row.
Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders (45-47): The RailRiders failed in their bid to complete an improbable turnaround and reach the .500 mark, narrowly falling to the IronPigs 7-6.
- Star of the Game: Oswaldo Cabrera: 2-for-5, 2 doubles, 2 RBI, 1 stolen base. Cabrera is 7-for-30 with three doubles and three homers since his return to the RailRiders
- Oswald Peraza: 2-for-3, 1 double, 1 RBI, 3 runs scored, 2 walks, 2 stolen bases
- Miguel Andujar: 2-for-4, 1 RBI, 1 walk, 2 stolen bases
- Josh Breaux: 1-for-5, 1 home run (3), 1 RBI, 1 run scored, 1 strikeout. Breaux has 16 home runs across two levels
- Matt Krook: 4.1 IP, 1 H, 3 R (2 ER), 6 BB, 2 K, 89 pitches (50 strikes). Krook has issued 13 free passes in his four starts this month
- Michael Gomez: 1.2 IP, 5 H, 4 R (3 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 34 pitches (24 strikes). Gomez took his fourth loss
- Carlos Espinal: 2 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 0 K, 29 pitches (16 strikes)
Somerset Patriots (55-34): The Patriots scored all six of their runs on homers, including two bombs to tie the score at three in the eight and Jesus Bastidas’ walk-off blast in a 6-3 win over Reading.
- Star of the Game: Jesus Bastidas – 1-for-4, 1 home run (10), 3 RBI, 1 run scored. After Austin Wells singled and Elijah Dunham walked to lead off the ninth, Bastidas got the green light on a 3-0 pitch and skied it over the left-center field wall to send everybody home
- Anthony Volpe: 1-for-4, 1 home run (13), 2 RBI, 1 run scored. Volpe, whose game-tying homer came with two outs in the eighth, has picked up right where he left off before the break and is slugging .625 across 48 July at-bats
- Austin Wells: 2-for-4, 1 run scored
- Mickey Gasper: 2-for-2, 1 home run (7), 1 RBI, 1 run scored. Gasper has gone yard three times this month
- Sean Boyle: 6 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 4 K, 78 pitches (53 strikes). Just four days after being named Eastern League Pitcher of the Week prior to the break, Boyle kept rolling with his eighth consecutive quality start and third straight allowing one run or fewer
- Nick Ernst: 2 IP, 3 H, 3 ER, 0 BB, 1 K, 29 pitches (22 strikes)
- Matt Minnick: 1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 13 pitches (10 strikes). Minnick earned his fourth win with a clean top of the ninth
Hudson Valley Renegades (48-40): Beck Way and two relievers combined to one-hit the Blue Rocks in a 3-0 win.
- Star of the Game: Beck Way – 6 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 3 BB, 4 K, 71 pitches (43 strikes). Way has pitched at least five innings in every start he’s made dating back to May 27
- Trey Sweeney: 1-for-3, 1 run scored, 2 walks, 1 stolen base. Sweeney stole home in the fifth inning
- Jasson Dominguez: 2-for-5f, 1 stolen base. Dominguez is 4-for-9 since his promotion
- Pat DeMarco: 3-for-4, 1 run scored
- Eduardo Torrealba: 1-for-4, 1 double, 1 RBI, 1 strikeout
- Alex Mauricio: 2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 K, 25 pitches (16 strikes)
- Nelvin Correa: 1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 K, 15 pitches (10 strikes). Correa picked up his third save
Tampa Tarpons (40-45): A planned doubleheader between Tampa and Lakeland was scuttled. The first game, a rescheduling of yesterday’s rainout, was cancelled outright, and the second game was suspended in the bottom of the first with the Tarpons leading 2-0. It will be picked up tomorrow as part of another attempt at a twin bill.
FCL Yankees (23-8): The Yankees and Phillies were rained out at the Himes Complex. The game will be made up on August 1.