Due to a suspended game having to be finished in the Gulf Coast League, there were 11 games played in the New York Yankees organization on Monday and the team/affiliates combined for a 5-6 record. While the big league club lost in extra innings, a Trenton third baseman had a multi-home run game, a Scranton starter was able to throw the most innings he’s had in a game this year for the Railriders, and Charleston added to their winning streak. Find out more about those players and much more with our Pinstriped Performances:
New York Yankees (MLB): The Yankees (54-28) lost to the Atlanta Braves, 5-3, in 11 innings.
- Aaron Judge went 1-for-4 with two walks and he hit a solo home run in the bottom of the first (23).
- Didi Gregorius (1-for-5) with a sacrifice fly (45).
- Gleyber Torres went 3-for-4 with a walk and a double.
- Aaron Hicks was 2-for-5 and both of his hits were doubles.
- Jonathan Loaisiga did not last long in his start. He went four innings, gave up three runs on five hits, and struck out three on 92 pitches (62 strikes) in a no-decision.
- Jonathan Holder and Chad Green each threw two shutout innings and struck out a batter (Holder allowed two hits).
- Aroldis Chapman struck out the side in a 1-2-3 ninth.
- Dellin Betances did not allow a run in the 10th. He allowed one hit, walked a batter, and struck out one.
- David Robertson (5-3) gave up two runs (one earned) on one hit and struck out one in the 11th as he took the loss.
Scranton Wilkes-Barre Railriders (Triple-A): The Railriders (41-40) began their series against the Buffalo Bisons with a 6-2 win.
- Bruce Caldwell was 2-for-4 with a double, a solo home run in the eighth (4) and he had three RBIs (14,15,16).
- Ryan McBroom (2-for-4) had an RBI single in the third (32).
- Tyler Wade went 2-for-5 out of the leadoff spot and played left field.
- Justus Sheffield (2-3) had his longest outing of the season in a win. In seven innings of work, he allowed a run on three hits, struck out six, and walked three on 100 pitches (60 strikes).
- Tommy Kahnle struck out two batters in a 1-2-3 eighth.
Trenton Thunder (Double-A): The Thunder (47-35) defeated the New Hampshire Fishercats, 8-6.
- Mandy Alvarez was the star in this game. He went 2-for-4 with a pair of home runs including a grand slam in the seventh (6,7) and he drove in six runs (31,32,33,34,35,36).
- Devyn Bolasky went 3-for-5 out of the leadoff spot.
- Domingo Acevedo got the no-decision in his start. He went five innings, gave up two runs on four hits, struck out five, and walked one on 86 pitches (58 strikes).
- Caleb Frare (4-1) got the win in relief. He gave up one hit and struck out three in 2.1 scoreless innings.
- David Sosebee got the final out of the game (strikeout) to get his first save with Trenton.
Tampa Tarpons (Single-A Advanced): The Tarpons (41-40) defeated the Dunedin Blue Jays, 7-2, in the opener of that series.
- Diego Castillo went 1-for-4 with a double and drove in three runs (27,28,29).
- Dom Thompson-Williams was 2-for-4 with a double and he hit a two-run single in the fifth (21,22).
- Brandon Wagner went 2-for-4 with an RBI single (44).
- Isiah Gilliam had the other multi-hit game (2-for-4, double).
- Trevor Lane came in after Rosa. He gave up an unearned run on three hits and struck out four in two innings of work.
- Andrew Schwaab allowed a hit and struck out three over the final two innings.
Charleston Riverdogs (Single-A): The Riverdogs (41-37) won their third straight game with a 6-2 win over the Greenville Drive.
- Jason Lopez (1-for-4, walk) hit a two-run home run in the top of the fifth (5).
- Welfrin Mateo (1-for-4) hit a solo home run in the eighth (3).
- Miguel Flames (1-for-4) got the scoring started with a base hit in the fourth (3).
- Mitchell Hansen (1-for-4) had an RBI triple in the same inning (1).
- Braden Bristo allowed one hit and struck out four over the final 2.1 innings as he got his fifth save.
Staten Island Yankees (Short-Season): The Yankees (5-12) lost the series opener to the Brooklyn Cyclones, 7-4.
- Jesus Bastidas went 2-for-4 with an RBI single in the fourth (4).
- Jackson Thoreson was 2-for-3 and had an RBI double in the same inning (2).
- Frederick Cuevas was 1-for-5 and he stole two bases.
- Juan De Paula got a no-decision in his outing. In five innings of work, he gave up four runs on six hits, struck out a batter, and walked three on 79 pitches (50 strikes).
- Brooks Kriske (0-1) took the loss out of the bullpen. He gave up a run on five hits and struck out two batters over two innings.
Pulaski Yankees (Rookie): The Yankees (5-8) lost a 2-1 game to the Kingsport Mets.
- Ezequiel Duran (1-for-3, walk, stolen base) hit a solo home run in the top of the ninth (1).
- Max Burt (2-for-2) had the other two hits in this game.
- Wellington Caceres (0-2) went 4.2 innings, gave up two runs on five hits, struck out five, and walked two on 84 pitches (52 strikes) in a loss.
- Brett Morales allowed one hit and struck out four in 2.1 innings of relief.
- Carlos Espinal struck out a batter in a 1-2-3 ninth.
Gulf Coast League (Rookie): The GCL Yankees East squad (2-8) lost their regularly scheduled game to GCL Phillies West, 4-2, and the suspended game, 11-4. As for the West team (5-4), they lost 8-5 to GCL Tigers East.
- Antonio Cabello went 3-for-5 with two doubles and he drove in three runs (7,8,9).
- Brandon Lockridge and Antonio Garcia went 2-for-4 with a triple.
- Anderson Reynoso (1-1) went five innings, gave up two runs on two hits, struck out three, and walked one in a loss.
- Griffin Garabito (1-for-2) hit a two-run home run in the bottom of the seventh (1) for the team’s only runs.
- Josh Breaux went 0-for-2 with a strikeout in his Yankees debut.
- Juan Then (0-1) took the loss in this start. He went 4.2 innings, gave up three runs on four hits, struck out five batters, and walked one.
- Tanner Myatt struck out three batters and allowed just one hit in the final two innings.
- Asdrubal Alvarez was 3-for-4 with an RBI (1).
- Sandy Mota went 2-for-5 with a double and an RBI (2).
- Anderson Munoz (0-1) was the starter previously and ended up taking the loss. He gave up four runs (three earned) on two hits, struck out two, and walked two in 2.1 innings.
Dominican Summer League (Rookie): The DSL Yankees (13-13) held the DSL Cardinals Blue squad to three hits in a 6-0 victory.
- Anthony Valenzuela went 1-for-3 with a double and two RBIs (9,10).
- Madison Santos was 2-for-4 with an RBI (9).
- Enyerberth Ascanio was 1-for-3 with an RBI (10).
- Nelson Medina had a multi-hit game in the victory (2-for-4, walk).
- Alfred Vega did not give up a hit in the first four innings. He struck out four batters and walked one.
- Thowar Martinez (2-0) got the win in relief. He gave up three hits and struck out seven over four innings.