On Monday, only three teams were in actions in the New York Yankees organization and only two of the games were completed. Staten Island took another close loss, but got a great start from their starter, who was on a rehab assignment. Meanwhile, Tampa’s offense got their second half off to a strong start before the rain came in and one young prospect made his organizational debut in the Dominican Summer League.
Be sure to vote for your Pinstriped Performer of the night and read more about the three games below:
Who is the June 17 Pinstriped Performer of the Night?
- Dermis Garcia (44%, 12 Votes)
- Brian Keller (22%, 6 Votes)
- Estevan Florial (19%, 5 Votes)
- Osiel Rodriguez (7%, 2 Votes)
- Oswaldo Cabrera (4%, 1 Votes)
- Juan De Leon (4%, 1 Votes)
- Isiah Gilliam (0%, 0 Votes)
- Jesus Rodriguez (0%, 0 Votes)
Total Voters: 27
Tampa Tarpons (Single-A Advanced): The Tarpons (28-38) began their second half of the season against the Dunedin Blue Jays. The game was suspended with Tampa leading 4-1 in the top of the fifth inning and will be resumed on Wednesday as part of a doubleheader.
- Dermis Garcia was 2-for-2 with an RBI single in the top of the third (46).
- Oswaldo Cabrera went 1-for-2 with a walk and an RBI double in the third (24).
- Isiah Gilliam was 1-for-2 with an RBI double in the second (26).
- Steven Sensley went 0-for-2 with an RBI (17).
- Miguel Yajure got the start in this game. He allowed one run on five hits, struck out five, and walked one over four innings. 50 of 78 pitches were strikes.
Staten Island Yankees (Short-Season): The Yankees (0-3) lost 2-1 in 10 innings to the Tri-City Valleycats.
- Carlos Narvaez was 1-for-3 with a walk.
- Oswald Peraza went 0-for-3 with a walk and a stolen base.
- Ezequiel Duran was 0-for-3 with two walks.
- Brian Keller threw the ball well on his rehab assignment. He allowed three hits and struck out four over six shutout innings in a no-decision. 52 of 71 pitches were strikes.
- Josh Maciejewski (0-1) took the loss in relief. He allowed two runs (one earned) on one hit and struck out three over 3.1 innings. 31 of 52 pitches were strikes.
Dominican Summer League (Rookie): The DSL Yankees (6-6) got the record back to .500 with a 5-2 win over the DSL Angels.
- Jesus Rodriguez went 1-for-3 with a walk, a stolen base and a solo home run in the top of the second (1).
- Dayro Perez was 1-for-4 with a double and a stolen base out of the leadoff spot. Perez has six stolen bases this year.
- Mauro Bonifacio went 1-for-3 with a walk and a triple.
- Marcos Cabrera was 1-for-4 with a triple.
- Anthony Valenzuela was 1-for-4 with an RBI single in the second (1).
- Alan Mejia was 0-for-2 with two walks and a stolen base.
- Osiel Rodriguez made his Yankees debut today. He allowed two hits and struck out three over two scoreless innings in his start.
- Franyer Hernandez came in relief for Rodriguez. He allowed two runs (one earned) on three hits, struck out two, and walked two in 3.2 innings of work.
- Yon Castro (2-0) won the game in relief. He allowed two hits, struck out three, and walked one over 2.1 shutout innings.
- Luis Nova walked a batter without allowing a hit in the ninth. He recorded his first save of the year.