The New York Yankees organization nearly had their second consecutive winless day on Monday (1-6). However, the big league club was able to prevent that from happening in D.C. While Scranton Wilkes-Barre, Trenton, and Charleston had the night off, the two Gulf Coast League teams got their season started.
New York Yankees (MLB): The Yankees (47-22) lost the suspended game to the Washington Nationals, 5-3. However, they responded in Game 2 with a 4-2 victory.
The Yankees had three hits in the three innings they came to the plate, but no runs were scored. Gary Sanchez and Greg Bird hit doubles in the seventh and eighth inning respectively while Gleyber Torres had a single in the eighth.
- Chad Green took the loss in this game. In the sixth inning, he gave up two runs (one home run) on three hits, and struck out two batters.
- Adam Warren struck out two batters in a 1-2-3 eighth.
- Giancarlo Stanton was 4-for-5 with a double and he drove in two runs (38,39).
- Aaron Hicks (2-for-5, double) hit a two-run home run in the top of the fifth that gave the Yankees a 3-2 lead (9). He is up to 30 RBIs on the season.
- Sonny Gray (5-4) picked up the win in this start. He went five innings, gave up two runs on six hits, struck out seven, and walked one on 86 pitches (61 strikes).
- The bullpen gave up one hit over the final four innings. Jonathan Holder struck out two batters in one perfect inning and got out of a jam in the sixth.
- Dellin Betances struck out the side in a 1-2-3 eighth.
- Aroldis Chapman gave up a hit, struck out two, and walked a batter in a scoreless ninth as he got his 21st save.
Tampa Tarpons (Single-A Advanced): The Tarpons (34-34) blew a late lead in their 6-5 loss to the Fort Myers Miracle.
- Brandon Wagner (1-for-4) got the Tarpons on the board with an RBI double in the top of the first (33).
- Angel Aguilar (1-for-3, walk) gave Tampa a 5-4 lead with an RBI single in the sixth (21).
- Nick Nelson did not have the best command in his start. He went three innings, gave up four runs (three earned) on five hits, struck out four, and walked four on 39 pitches (22 strikes) in a no-decision.
- Brian Trieglaff gave up two hits and struck out one in 2.1 scoreless innings of relief.
- Phillip Diehl came in after Trieglaff and struck out three hitters while allowing a hit in 1.2 scoreless innings.
- Matt Frawley (0-4) could not hold the lead in this game. He went 1.1 innings, gave up two runs on four hits, and walked one in the loss.
Staten Island Yankees (Short-Season): The Yankees (1-3) lost their third straight game as they dropped the series opener to the Lowell Spinners, 5-3.
- Frederick Cuevas was 1-for-2 with a double and he drew two walks.
- Junior Soto (1-for-4) and Canaan Smith (1-for-4) had the other hits for Staten Island.
- Eric Wagaman and Danienger Perez each drove in a run without the benefit of a hit.
- Harold Cortijo made his first start of the season. He went 4.2 innings, gave up three runs (two earned) on four hits, struck out five, and walked four on 79 pitches (44 strikes).
- Brooks Kriske came in after Cortijo. He allowed a hit, struck out four, and walked two in two scoreless innings of relief.
- Garrett Mundell (0-1) took the loss out of the bullpen. In 1.1 innings, he gave up two runs on three hits, struck out two, and walked one.
Gulf Coast League (Rookie): The two Gulf Coast League teams ended up losing their first games of the season. The GCL East squad lost 9-3 to the GCL Tigers West while the GCL West squad lost 8-3 to GCL Phillies East.
- Sandy Mota (1-for-3, walk) and Starlin Paulino (1-for-4) had the two RBIs in the loss.
- Donny Sands began his rehab assignment and went 0-for-3.
- Juan Then made his organizational debut on the mound and had a quality start. In six innings of work, he gave up three runs on four hits and struck out six in a no-decision.
- Elvis Peguero (0-1) ended up getting the loss out of the bullpen. In 1.2 innings, he gave up five runs (three earned) on five hits, struck out two, walked two, and gave up two home runs.
- Nelson Alvarez went 2-for-4 and had an RBI single (1).
- Jose Martinez (1-for-4) got the Yanks on the board with a two-run single in the fourth (1,2).
- Roberto Chirinos (2-for-4, double had the other multi-hit game.
- Anthony Seigler went 1-for-2 with a double in his professional debut.
- Kenlly Montas (0-1) struggled on the mound. In one inning, he gave up six runs (five earned) on six hits and struck out a batter in the loss.
- Havid Burgos did walk three batters in three innings of relief. However, he struck out a batter and only gave up one hit.
- Connor Van Hoose gave up a hit, struck out a batter, and walked one in a scoreless inning.
Dominican Summer League (Rookie): The DSL Yankees (8-6) lost to the DSL Mets by a final score of 4-2.
- Juan Crisp had the lone multi-hit game as he went 2-for-4
- Miguel Marte went 1-for-2 with a double and an RBI (7).
- Nelson Medina (1-for-4) had the other RBI in the loss.
- Cristian Sumoza (1-1) went five innings, gave up two runs on five hits, struck out three batters, and walked one in the loss.
- Felix Alonzo threw 2.2 shutout innings out of the bullpen. He gave up three hits, struck out three batters, and walked one.