There was not much action in the New York Yankees organization on Monday night as the 2018 MLB First-Year Player Draft was underway. Out of the four games that were played between three teams, the combined record was 2-2 (Yankees had a doubleheader). Check out some of the key performances from the night’s action, which included an offensive surge in the Dominican Republic.
New York Yankees (MLB): The Yankees (38-18) ended up splitting their doubleheader against the Detroit Tigers. They won Game 1 by a final score of 7-4 and lost Game 2, 4-2.
- Austin Romine got the start behind the plate and went 1-for-3 with a walk and a three-run home run in the top of the fourth (4). He now has an 11-game hit streak.
- Gleyber Torres (1-for-3, walk) got the Yankees on the board with a solo home run in the third (10).
- Greg Bird (1-for-3, walk) hit a solo shot in the fourth (2).
- Luis Severino (9-1) had another strong outing on the mound. He went eight innings, gave up two runs (one earned) on four hits and struck out ten batters on 112 pitches (85 strikes).
- Aroldis Chapman came in to get the final out of the game (ninth) as he got his 14th save of the year.
- Giancarlo Stanton (1-for-3) hit a solo home run (13) in the top of the sixth.
- Brett Gardner (1-for-5) drove in the other run of the night with a triple in the third.
- Miguel Andujar had the lone multi-hit game as he went 2-for-3 with a double.
- Domingo German (0-4) is still looking for his first win. He went 6.2 innings, gave up four runs on seven hits, struck out three batters, and walked two on 95 pitches (62 strikes) in the loss.
Tampa Tarpons (Single-A Advanced): The Tarpons (29-28) lost their series opener to the St. Lucie Mets by a final score of 5-1.
- Nick Green threw six shutout innings, but he ended up with a no-decision. He allowed six hits, struck out four batters, and walked three on 94 pitches (54 strikes).
- Hobie Harris followed up Green by giving up a run on one hit and striking out two over two innings.
- Trevor Lane (1-1) ended up getting the loss. In 1.1 innings, he gave up five runs (four earned) on three hits, struck out a batter, and walked three.
Dominican Summer League (Rookie): The DSL Yankees (2-0) had a big day on offense in their 15-3 win over the DSL Rockies. Eight different players drove in at least one run.
- Angel Rojas was 2-for-5 with a double, a triple, and three RBIs (1,2,3).
- Sandy Mota had a team-high three hit (3-for-4) as he hit a double and drove in two runs (1,2).
- Ronny Rojas was 1-for-3 with a double, an RBI (4), and he had four runs scored.
- Nelson Medina was 2-for-4 with a pair of doubles and a pair of RBIs (1,2).
- Raimfer Salinas had a 2-for-5 day with a double and two RBIs (1,2).
- Deivi Diaz reached a new career-high with his strikeout total today. In three innings of work, he struck out nine while allowing only one hit and walking three batters.
- Yon Castro (1-1) got the win in relief. He gave up three runs on three hits, struck out six, and walked a batter over 4.1 innings.
- Joensy Abreu gave up two hits and struck out two batters in a scoreless ninth.