Just two affiliates managed to start games on a wet and muggy Friday up and down the East Coast, and neither outcome was desirable. But there were some standout individual performances for both Scranton and Somerset in their losses.
Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders (18-8): Deivi García turned in a solid start and Scranton managed some offense, but it turned out to be too little, too late as they dropped the decision to Lehigh Valley 5-4.
- Star of the Game: Andrew Velazquez – 3-for-4, 1 home run (1), 1 double, 2 RBI, 2 runs scored. The Bronx native had by far his best offensive effort of the season and his first three-hit game this year
- Estevan Florial: 1-for-4, 1 double, 1 strikeout
- Chris Gittens: 1-for-4, 1 strikeout
- Thomas Milone: 1-for-4, 1 home run (1), 1 RBI, 1 run scored, 1 strikeout. This was somehow Milone’s first home run with Scranton, though he’s been hitting the cover off the ball throughout his tenure there
- Deivi García: 5.1 IP, 2 H, 2 ER, 3 BB, 7 K, 92 pitches (57 strikes). Deivi has a mediocre 4.71 ERA through 21 Triple-A innings, but he does have 28 strikeouts
- Nick Goody: 0.2 IP, 1 H, 1 ER, 0 BB, 1 K, 11 pitches (9 strikes). Goody relieved García with two on and one out in the sixth, and promptly surrendered a back-breaking three-run home run to top Phillies prospect Mickey Moniak
- Addison Russ: 1.2 IP, 2 H, 2 ER, 1 BB, 2 K, 36 pitches (24 strikes)
- Reggie McClain: 1.1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 10 pitches (9 strikes)
Somerset Patriots (18-8): Three late Reading runs put a close game out of reach as the Patriots lost to the Fightin’ Phils 8-3 – just the visitors’ fifth win in 27 games.
- Star of the Game: Michael Beltre – 2-for-5, 1 home run (4), 1 RBI, 1 run scored, 2 strikeouts. Beltre’s leadoff solo shot gave Somerset their only lead. Beltre has hit safely in 12 of his last 14 games and his average is up to .292
- Dermis Garcia: 0-for-2, 1 walk, 2 strikeouts
- Aaron Palensky: 1-for-4, 1 triple, 2 RBI, 2 strikeouts. Perhaps the most fun story of the minor league season thus far, Palensky was delivering packages for Amazon last summer and is now hitting .367 through nine games as a 22-year-old at Double-A
- Luis Gil: 4.2 IP, 7 H, 5 ER, 4 BB, 7 K, 90 pitches (54 strikes). Gil cruised through his first three innings and then fell apart in the fourth, serving up a three-run homer and then getting chased an inning later after a two-run double
- Jefry Valdez: 2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 22 pitches (17 strikes)
- Ron Marinaccio: 1.1 IP, 1 H, 1 ER, 1 BB, 2 K, 25 pitches (14 strikes)
- Keegan Curtis: 1 IP, 3 H, 2 ER, 1 BB, 2 K, 33 pitches (18 strikes)
Hudson Valley Renegades (14-11): A wet field in Wilmington scuttled the Renegades’ Friday night matchup with the Blue Rocks. A makeup date has not been announced.
Tampa Tarpons (19-8): Lakeland’s visit to GMS Field was called on account of rain and will be made up tomorrow as part of a doubleheader.