Since the New York Yankees had a doubleheader on Saturday, there were ten games played in the organization and the affiliates had a combined record of 5-5. Scranton Wilkes-Barre had the Yankees’ top pitching prospect on the mound and Trenton picked up a walk-off win thanks to one of its newest players. Find out who else shined on Saturday night with our Pinstriped Performances:
New York Yankees (MLB): The Yankees (66-37) split both games of a doubleheader against the Kansas City Royals. They lost Game 1, 10-5. However, they rallied to win Game 2, 5-4.
- Giancarlo Stanton (1-for-5) hit a two-run home run in the bottom of the fifth (24).
- Gleyber Torres went 2-for-5 with an RBI double in the seventh (43).
- Neil Walker was 3-for-4 with an RBI single in the sixth (24).
- Greg Bird (2-for-4, walk) and Aaron Hicks (2-for-3, two walks) had multi-hit games.
- Luis Severino (14-4) had a rough afternoon on the mound. He went 4.1 innings, allowed six runs on eight hits, struck out five, and walked one on 95 pitches (62 strikes) in the loss.
- Adam Warren did not allow a hit and struck out a batter over 2.2 innings of relief.
- Neil Walker went 2-for-3 with a double and a sacrifice fly in the bottom of the first (25).
- Greg Bird (1-for-3) hit a game-tying solo home run in the eighth (9).
- Shane Robinson went 1-for-2 and hit a solo shot in the fourth (1).
- Miguel Andujar (1-for-4) had an RBI single in the first (42).
- Aaron Hicks had a pinch-hit go-ahead sacrifice fly in the eighth (45).
- C.C. Sabathia got the no-decision in his start. He went 4.2 innings, gave up two runs on six hits, struck out eight, and walked two on 79 pitches (49 strikes).
- Dellin Betances (2-3) gave up a hit and struck out a batter in a scoreless eighth as he got the win.
- Aroldis Chapman allowed one hit, struck out two, and walked one in a scoreless ninth as he got his 27th save of the year.
Scranton Wilkes-Barre Railriders (Triple-A): The Railriders (55-47) had 17 hits in an 11-1 blowout win over the Gwinnett Stripers.
- Mark Payton went 4-for-5 with three RBIs (14,15,16) and hit a solo home run in the bottom of the second (4).
- Bruce Caldwell (2-for-5) led off the first inning with a solo shot (6).
- Mike Ford (2-for-4, double, walk) hit a two-run home run in the seventh (12).
- Abiatal Avelino was 2-for-5 with an RBI single in the first (30).
- Francisco Diaz went 3-for-4 with a double, a walk, and two RBIs (6,7).
- Zack Zehner (2-for-4, walk) had an RBI groundout in the eighth (24).
- Stephen Tarpley allowed one hit and struck out three in 2.1 scoreless innings of relief.
- Joe Harvey struck out two batters in a 1-2-3 ninth.
Trenton Thunder (Double-A): The Thunder (58-47) defeated the Portland Sea Dogs 3-2 in walk-off fashion.
- Ryan McBroom (2-for-5, double, walk) had an RBI single in the first (14).
- Jhalan Jackson went 1-for-2 with a walk and he hit a solo home run in the second (14).
- Trey Amburgey was 2-for-4 with a double, a walk, and a stolen base.
- Domingo Acevedo got the start and left the game early due to injury. In four innings of work, he allowed two runs on five hits and struck out four on 49 pitches (37 strikes).
- Brady Lail struck out four batters and did not give up a hit in three innings of work.
- David Sosebee (2-2) allowed two hits and struck out a batter over the final two innings as he got the win in relief.
Tampa Tarpons (Single-A Advanced): The Tarpons (53-52) scored six runs in the bottom of the eighth in their 8-5 win over the Palm Beach Cardinals.
- Steven Sensley (1-for-4) had a two-run double in the eighth (7,8).
- Donny Sands (1-for-4) broke a 2-2 tie with an RBI single in the eighth (7).
- Hoy Jun Park (1-for-1, two walks) drove in a run on a base hit (25).
- Dom Thompson-Williams led the team in hits (3-for-5).
- Nick Nelson got a no-decision in his outing. In five innings of work, he gave up a run on three hits, struck out four, and walked four on 92 pitches (53 strikes).
- Trevor Lane struck out two batters in a 1-2-3 sixth.
- Greg Weissert (1-0) gave up an unearned run on two hits, struck out five, and walked one over two innings in relief as he got the win.
Charleston Riverdogs (Single-A): The Riverdogs (50-52) lost to the Greenville Drive by a final score of 10-8.
- Dermis Garcia was 2-for-5 and he hit a two-run home run in the bottom of the seventh (11).
- Carlos Vidal (1-for-4, walk) had an RBI double in the ninth (17).
- Welfrin Mateo went 1-for-4 with an RBI single in the eighth (11).
- Chris Hess, Jason Lopez, and Wilkerman Garcia all went 2-for-5 (Garcia had a double).
- Alex Mauricio got the start. He went four innings, gave up six runs (five earned) on eight hits, struck out five, and walked three on 74 pitches (44 strikes) in a no-decision.
- Anderson Severino (2-3) was the losing pitcher. In 1.1 innings, he gave up three runs on two hits, struck out a batter, and walked two.
- Braden Bristo got the final two outs of the game (one strikeout).
Staten Island Yankees (Short-Season): The Yankees (22-17) finished a suspended game with the Tri-City Valleycats and won 2-0. The second game of a doubleheader was canceled due to rain.
- Brandon Lockridge went 2-for-3 and drove in the first run of the game on an RBI double in the bottom of the fifth (6).
- Jesus Bastidas (1-for-3) had an RBI single in the sixth (7).
- Alex Junior was 0-for-1 with a walk and he stole two bases.
Pulaski Yankees (Rookie): The Yankees (16-22) lost 5-3 to the Greeneville Reds.
- David Metzgar went 2-for-4 and hit a two-run home run in the top of the second (1).
- Evan Alexander had the other multi-hit game (2-for-4, walk).
- Luis Gil got the no-decision in his start. He went four innings, gave up two runs (one earned) on three hits, struck out five, and walked four on 82 pitches (43 strikes).
- Wellington Diaz (1-1) took the loss in relief. In 3.1 innings of work, he allowed three runs on four hits, struck out one batter, and walked two.
- Bryan Blanton got the other two outs in the eighth.
Gulf Coast League (Rookie): The GCL East squad (11-20) lost 2-0 to GCL Phillies East in 10 innings.
- Borinquen Mendez went 1-for-3 with a double.
- Jesus Severino (1-for-3, stolen base) and Brayan Jimenez (1-for-2) had the other hits for the Yankees.
- Elvis Peguero threw five shutout innings in his start. He allowed four hits, struck out two batters, and walked three.
- Josh Maciejewski allowed one hit, struck out three, and walked one over three shutout innings.
- Charlie Ruegger (0-1) took the loss. He allowed two runs (one earned) on two hits and struck out one in 1.1 innings of work.
- Tyler Johnson got the final two outs in the 10th.
Dominican Summer League (Rookie): The DSL Yankees (19-29) lost 8-7 to DSL Phillies Red.
- Deivi Munoz went 3-for-4 with two triples and two RBIs (7,8).
- Nelson Medina was 2-for-5 with an RBI (9).
- Angel Rojas went 1-for-5 with a double and an RBI (21).
- Bryant Arrieche went 1-for-2 with two walks and an RBI (7).
- Carlos Gomez (0-2) got the start. He went three innings, gave up five runs (four earned) on four hits, struck out seven, and walked one in a loss.
- Juan Carderon allowed a hit and struck out a batter in two scoreless innings of relief.
- Diego Cordero struck out a batter in a 1-2-3 ninth.