After an undefeated day in the New York Yankees organization on Friday, Saturday was not as kind. Since Charleston had their game suspended due to rain, only five games took place and the teams combined for a 2-3 record. The Yankees had one of the wins while the Dominican Summer League team kicked off their season with a win. In the other three games, the Yankee affiliates combined to score one run. Check out some of the key performances around the organization:
New York Yankees (MLB): The Yankees (37-17) extended their win streak to four games with an 8-5 win over the Baltimore Orioles.
- Miguel Andujar (2-for-4) had a double, hit a two-run home run in the top of the second (6), and he drove in three runs (19,20,21).
- Giancarlo Stanton (2-for-4) hit a two-run home run in the third (12).
- Aaron Hicks was the team leader in hits (3-for-4, stolen base) and he drove in two runs (22,23).
- Brett Gardner went 2-for-5 and both of his hits went for extra bases (doubles).
- Didi Gregorius (2-for-5, stolen base) drove in a run via a base hit in the sixth (36).
- Masahiro Tanaka (7-2) went 5.1 innings, gave up four runs on eight hits, struck out seven batters, and walked one on 97 pitches (69 strikes).
Scranton Wilkes-Barre Railriders (Triple-A): The Railriders (25-29) were shut out by the Indianapolis Indians by a final score of 8-0.
- Ronald Torreyes had the lone multi-hit game of the night as he went 2-for-4.
- Justus Sheffield (0-2) gave up five runs in the first inning. In five innings of work, he gave up six runs on four hits, struck out a batter, and walked three on 86 pitches (50 strikes) in the loss.
- Brady Lail followed up Sheffield in this game. He went 2.1 innings, gave up two runs on four hits, struck out two batters, and walked three.
Trenton Thunder (Double-A): The Thunder (33-22) lost a close pitchers duel to the Bowie Baysox, 2-1.
- Abiatal Avelino (2-for-4) drove in the lone run for Trenton with an RBI double in the top of the eighth (16).
- Rey Navarro was also 2-for-4 with a double.
- Reiver Sanmartin (0-1) made his Yankees organizational debut. In five innings, he gave up two runs (one earned) on four hits and he struck out four on 58 pitches (38 strikes) in the loss.
Tampa Tarpons (Single-A Advanced): The Tarpons (28-27) were held to five hits in their 4-0 loss to the Dunedin Blue Jays
- Kellin Deglan was 2-for-3 and had the lone extra-base hit for the Tarpons (double in the top of the seventh).
- Brian Trieglaff gave up one hit and struck out two in 2.1 innings of relief.
- Matt Frawley finished the game by giving up three hits and striking out four over the final two innings.
Charleston Riverdogs (Single-A): The Riverdogs (25-28) had their game against the Delmarva Shorebirds suspended due to rain. They are down 1-0 in the top of the second. They will resume this game as part of a doubleheader on Sunday beginning at 3:05 p.m.
- Oswaldo Cabrera (1-for-1) has the lone hit for Charleston with his base hit in the bottom of the first.
- Rony Garcia gave up a run on one hit and struck out three in the two innings that he pitched.
Dominican Summer League (Rookie): The DSL Yankees (1-0) began their season with a 5-1 win over the DSL Rockies.
- Ronny Rojas was the star on offense. The third baseman was 3-for-5 with a double, a stolen base, and he hit a three-run home run (1) in the top of the sixth.
- Miguel Marte (0-for-2) drove in a run with a sacrifice fly in the sixth.
- Sandy Mota (1-for-4) followed up that sac fly with an RBI single of his own.
- Yoendrys Gomez (1-0) picked up the win in his start. He went five innings, gave up one run on two hits, struck out two, and walked two.
- Leonardo Pestana was able to get a four-inning save. He only allowed one hit, struck out six batters, and walked three.