Only two affiliates were able to complete their scheduled games on Tuesday, and both of those were nailbiters.
Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders (7-10): The series opener against Lehigh Valley was postponed until Friday.
Somerset Patriots (10-6): A tight pitchers’ duel saw the Patriots tie the score in the seventh and go on to triumph 2-1 in extra innings over the visiting Sea Dogs.
- Star of the Game: Andres Chaparro – 2-for-4, 1 home run (3), 1 double, 1 RBI, 1 run scored, 2 strikeouts. Chaparro’s solo home run came on the first pitch of the bottom of the seventh and knotted the score at one apiece
- Anthony Volpe: 0-for-4, 1 strikeout
- Mickey Gasper: 1-for-4, 1 RBI, 1 strikeout. Gasper drove home the automatic runner in the bottom of the tenth with an infield single
- Mitch Spence: 4 IP, 4 H, 1 ER, 4 BB, 2 K, 77 pitches (48 strikes)
- Carlos Espinal: 3 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 6 K, 37 pitches (25 strikes). Espinal’s sparkling performance added to a strong campaign in which he’s struck out 16 in 11 innings
- Matt Minnick: 2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 K, 32 pitches (21 strikes)
- Derek Craft: 1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 19 pitches (16 strikes). Craft recovered from his disastrous blown save to earn the win in this one
Hudson Valley Renegades (8-7): The Renegades had their matchup with Wilmington postponed, and will play a doubleheader tomorrow.
Tampa Tarpons (6-10): The Tarpons dropped their seventh game in a row, surrendering four runs in the top of the ninth and then only getting three of them back in a 5-4 loss to Lakeland.
- Star of the Game: Yon Castro – 3.1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 5 K, 54 pitches (33 strikes). Castro, with just three full-season innings to his credit prior to this season, has now made three starts in 2022 without giving up an earned run
- Jasson Dominguez: 1-for-4, 1 walk, 1 strikeout, 1 stolen base
- Benjamin Cowles: 1-for-4, 1 home run (1), 1 RBI, 1 run scored, 3 strikeouts. Cowles’ second-inning home run gave the Tarpons a 1-0 lead they’d preserve until the eighth
- Anthony Seigler: 2-for-3, 1 double, 1 run scored, 1 walk
- Roberto Chirinos: 1-for-4, 1 double, 2 RBI, 1 run scored, 1 strikeout. Chirinos brought Tampa back into the game with a two-run double, but after a bases-loaded walk to Marcos Cabrera cut the deficit to one, Madison Santos struck out to end the game
- Ryan Anderson: 2.2 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 K, 45 pitches (23 strikes)
- Harold Cortijo: 1.1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 16 pitches (12 strikes)
- Danny Watson: 1.2 IP, 4 H, 5 ER, 3 BB, 1 K, 44 pitches (24 strikes). Watson gave up the tying run in the eighth and then totally imploded in the following frame