While the New York Yankees were off and the Charleston Riverdogs were postponed, the organization had ten games played when you consider that the Gulf Coast League teams played a doubleheader against each other. In those games, the combined record was 5-5. One Scranton Wilkes-Barre player hit a home run off of a former Yankee reliever, a Pulaski player had four hits, and a Staten Island first baseman homered for the second straight game. Find out who those players were and much more in our Pinstriped Performances from Thursday:
Scranton Wilkes-Barre Railriders (Triple-A): The Railriders (51-44) began their series against the Columbus Clippers with a 7-3 win.
- Rey Navarro went 2-for-4 and hit a two-run home run in the eighth (6).
- Francisco Diaz (1-for-4) had a two-run single in the second (4,5).
- Brandon Drury was 2-for-5 with an RBI single in the fifth (30).
- Shane Robinson was 2-for-4 as he came off the bench for Clint Frazier. Here is why Frazier left the game courtesy of Conor Foley of The Times-Tribune:
Clint Frazier was removed from tonight's RailRiders game for precautionary reasons related to possible concussion symptoms. He'll see a doctor soon. RailRiders not yet sure whether a DL stint coming.
— Conor Foley (@RailRidersTT) July 20, 2018
- Erik Swanson got a no-decision in his start. He went 4.1 innings, gave up three runs on four hits and struck out three on 61 pitches (43 strikes).
- Giovanny Gallegos (2-2) got the win in relief. He struck out four batters in 2.2 hitless innings.
- Tommy Kahnle walked a batter and had a strikeout in a hitless eighth.
- Cody Carroll struck out the side in the ninth.
Trenton Thunder (Double-A): The Thunder (52-44) lost the series opener, 3-2, to the Binghamton Rumble Ponies.
- Zack Zehner (1-for-3) and Jeff Hendrix (1-for-2) drew the only two walks.
- Ryan Bollinger (4-4) went five innings, gave up three runs (two earned) on six hits, and struck out three batters on 87 pitches (61 strikes) in a loss.
- Brody Koerner gave a hit, walked two batters, and struck out one in two scoreless innings of relief.
- David Sosebee gave up a hit and struck out a batter in a scoreless eighth.
Tampa Tarpons (Single-A Advanced): The Tarpons (49-48) defeated the Dunedin Blue Jays, 4-2.
- Rashad Crawford was 1-for-3 with a double and he drove in a pair of runs (7,8).
- Hoy Jun Park went 2-for-4 with a walk.
- Dom Thompson-Williams was 3-for-5 with a double.
- Isiah Gilliam went 1-for-3 with a double and two walks.
- Estevan Florial was 1-for-5 in his return to the Tarpons lineup.
- Luis Rijo (1-0) delivered in his first start for Tampa. He went six innings, gave up two runs on six hits, and struck out three on 84 pitches (63 strikes) in a win.
- Greg Weissert allowed one hit, walked two batters, and struck out two in 1.2 scoreless innings.
- Matt Wivinis allowed a hit and struck out two in the final 1.1 innings as he got his seventh save.
Charleston Riverdogs (Single-A): The Riverdogs (46-46) had their series opener against the Rome Braves postponed due to rain. The two teams will play a doubleheader tomorrow with Game 1 beginning at 5 p.m ET.
Staten Island Yankees (Short-Season): The Yankees (18-15) lost in walk-off fashion to the Vermont Lake Monsters, 2-1.
- Junior Soto had the lone multi-hit game as he went 2-for-4.
- David Metzgar was the other Yankee with a hit (1-for-3).
- Matt Sauer went five innings, allowed one run on one hit, struck out three, and walked three on 85 pitches (53 strikes) in a no-decision.
- Christian Morris struck out two batters over three perfect innings.
- Brooks Kriske (0-2) gave up a run on three hits in the bottom of the ninth (0.2 innings) as he took the loss.
Pulaski Yankees (Rookie): The Yankees (13-16) rallied in the ninth to defeat the Danville Braves, 7-6.
- Everson Pereira went 4-for-5 with a double and drove in two runs (15,16).
- Juan De Leon (2-for-3, walk) hit a solo home run in the top of the second (3).
- Max Burt went 2-for-4 with a pair of RBIs (13,14). One of them came around to score on the game-winning single in the ninth.
- Oswald Peraza was 2-for-4 with an RBI (5) out of the leadoff spot.
- Ezequiel Duran (2-for-4, walk) had a multi-hit game for Pulaski.
- Justin Wilson got the start. He went three innings, allowed three runs on five hits, and walked three batters in a no-decision.
- Daniel Bies allowed two hits, struck out four, and walked a batter over three scoreless innings.
- Carlos Espinal (3-0) allowed a hit and struck out four over the final 2.2 innings (no hits allowed) as he got the win.
Gulf Coast League (Rookie): The GCL Yankees East squad (10-15) swept both games against GCL Yankees West (13-12). They won Game 1, 1-0, and Game 2, 2-1.
- Isaiah Pasteur went 1-for-3 and hit a solo home run in the bottom of the fourth (2).
- Asdrubal Alvarez had the lone multi-hit game (2-for-2).
- Alex Guerrero was the other player with a hit as he went 1-for-2.
- Yoendrys Gomez (1-1) threw five shutout innings in a win. He allowed three hits, struck out eight, and walked two.
- Alex Mejias struck out three batters and did not give up a hit in the final two innings.
- Jesus Severino (1-for-2) hit a solo home run in the bottom of the fifth (2).
- Matt McGarry went 2-for-3 with a double and an RBI (2).
- Borinquen Mendez had a multi-hit game (2-for-3, stolen base).
- Tanner Myatt went two innings, allowed two hits, struck out two, and walked one before leaving the game with an injury according to Josh Norris of Baseball America:
Tanner Myatt is out of the game after two innings. He shook his right arm in the middle of the second, was visited by a trainer and stayed in. Now he's done. #Yankees
— Josh Norris (@jnorris427) July 19, 2018
- Abismael Villaman (2-0) got the win in relief. In five innings of work, he allowed a run on four hits and struck out three.
- Anthony Garcia had the lone multi-hit game (2-for-3).
- Antonio Arias was the other player who had a hit (1-for-1, walk, stolen base).
- Chaz Hebert got the start and struck out three batters over two hitless innings.
- Carlos D. Rodriguez (3-1) went four innings, gave up a run on four hits, and struck out seven in a loss.
- Anthony Garcia (2-for-3) hit a solo home run in the top of the sixth (1).
- Roberto Chirinos and Matt Pita both went 1-for-3 and Antonio Cabello was 1-for-2 with a walk.
- Connor Jones (0-3) went four innings, gave up a run on four hits, and struck out six in a loss.
- Deivi Diaz allowed a run on two hits and struck out three over the final two innings.
Dominican Summer League (Rookie): The DSL Yankees (16-24) lost 8-2 in seven innings to DSL Cardinals Blue.
- Enyerberth Ascanio went 1-for-3 with an RBI (12).
- Anthony Valenzuela was 1-for-2 with a walk and an RBI (7).
- Ronny Rojas (1-for-3) had the only extra-base hit (triple).
- Bias Castano (0-3) went 2.2 innings in his start. He gave up five runs on seven hits, struck out two batters, and walked four.
- Marcos Arguello threw 1.1 perfect innings in relief of Castano.