It was a busy day of action in the New York Yankees organization on Thursday. Out of the 11 games that were played, the affiliates combined for a 6-5 record (Scranton finished a suspended game from Tuesday). The Yankees unveiled their new reliever and lost one of their stars in the lineup on the same day. Meanwhile, the starter in Trenton continued to shine and a Tampa outfielder had three RBIs out of the leadoff spot. Find out who those players were and much more in our Pinstriped Performances:
New York Yankees (MLB): The Yankees (65-36) began their series against the Kansas City Royals with a 7-2 win.
- Didi Gregorius was 2-for-5 with a double and he hit a three-run home run in the bottom of the fourth (18).
- Austin Romine (1-for-4) had an RBI double in the fourth (29).
- Aaron Hicks (2-for-3, walk) and Neil Walker (2-for-4) each had multi-hit games.
- Giancarlo Stanton (0-for-2, walk) and Greg Bird (0-for-2, walk) each had an RBI. Stanton is up to 61 RBIs this year while Bird has 24.
- Aaron Judge (1-for-1) left the game in the fifth after being hit by a pitch in the wrist in the first. According to the Yankees, he is going to be out a while:
Tonight OF Aaron Judge sustained a chip fracture of the right wrist (ulnar styloid bone). No surgery has been recommended. The Yankees approximate a 3-week time period before Judge can swing a bat in a game situation.
— New York Yankees (@Yankees) July 27, 2018
- Sonny Gray (8-7) threw five shutout innings, allowed three hits, struck out five, and walked two on 75 pitches (46 strikes) in a win.
- David Robertson struck out three batters and allowed one hit in a scoreless seventh.
- Zach Britton made his Yankees debut. He struck out a batter in a 1-2-3 eighth.
- Chasen Shreve allowed three hits and struck out one in a scoreless ninth.
Scranton Wilkes-Barre Railriders (Triple-A): The Railriders (53-47) ended up winning the suspended game against the Charlotte Knights, 5-4. However, they lost Game 2 of the doubleheader, 8-2.
- Shane Robinson was 1-for-4 with a stolen base and he had an RBI groundout in the bottom of the fifth (14).
- Bruce Caldwell (1-for-3) had a two-run single in the fifth (19,20).
- Stephen Tarpley came in after Espinal. He gave up a run on two hits and struck out a batter over 2.1 innings.
- Joe Harvey struck out three batters and walked one while not giving up a hit in the final 1.2 innings as he got his fifth save.
- Shane Robinson had a multi-hit game (2-for-2).
- Tyler Austin (1-for-3, double) had the other hit for the Railriders.
- Domingo German‘s outing was cut short due to injury. He gave up two runs on two hits over one inning of work. Conor Foley of The Times Tribune has more on the injury:
Domingo German makes things sound a little better. He backs up what Cashman said, that it was more of a biceps thing. Said he felt off the whole day. Doesn’t know if he’ll have to undergo tests. https://t.co/YIAW4IKFJx
— Conor Foley (@RailRidersTT) July 26, 2018
- J.P. Feyereisen (6-4) came in after German and was the losing pitcher. He allowed two runs on three hits and walked two over 1.1 innings of work.
- Giovanny Gallegos led the team in strikeouts (four). He allowed two runs on three hits in 2.1 innings.
- Caleb Frare made his first appearance of the season. He allowed a run on two hits and struck out a batter in the seventh.
Trenton Thunder (Double-A): The Thunder (57-46) began their series against the Portland Sea Dogs with an 8-1 win.
- Ryan McBroom (1-for-5) hit a solo home run in the fourth (4).
- Zack Zehner had a multi-hit game (2-for-4).
- Jeff Hendrix was 1-for-3 with a walk, a stolen base, and an RBI double in the sixth (17).
- Wendell Rijo went 2-for-3 with a double.
- Michael King (5-2) did not allow a run in his start. He went seven innings, allowed four hits, struck out eight, and walked one on 102 pitches (68 strikes) in a win.
- James Reeves allowed one hit in a scoreless eighth.
- Brady Lail allowed a run on two hits in the ninth.
Tampa Tarpons (Single-A Advanced): The Tarpons (52-51) won the opening game of their series against the Palm Beach Cardinals, 6-4.
- Ben Ruta went 3-for-4 with an RBI single in the bottom of the eighth (20).
- Angel Aguilar (1-for-3, walk) hit a solo home run in the second (5).
- Dom Thompson-Williams had a multi-hit game (2-for-4).
- Donny Sands (0-for-3) had a sacrifice fly in the first (6).
- Rony Garcia got the no-decision in his start. He went 5.1 innings, gave up one run on two hits, struck out six, and walked three on 94 pitches (60 strikes) in a no-decision.
- Trevor Lane allowed an unearned run on two hits and struck out two in 1.2 innings of relief.
- Kaleb Ort (1-1) got the win in relief. He allowed two runs on two hits and walked two in the eighth.
- Matt Frawley threw a 1-2-3 ninth for his third save of the year.
Charleston Riverdogs (Single-A): The Riverdogs (50-50) got their record back to .500 with a 4-2 win over the Augusta Green Jackets.
- Wilkerman Garcia was 3-for-4 with a double and a pair of RBIs (31,32).
- Leonardo Molina was 2-for-4 with an RBI single in the bottom of the sixth (27).
- Welfrin Mateo also had a multi-hit game (2-for-3, stolen base).
- Miguel Yajure (3-2) did not allow a run over five innings, allowed two hits, and struck out six on 61 pitches (43 strikes) in a win.
- Alexander Vargas came in after Yajure. In three innings of work, he allowed two runs on four hits and struck out one.
- Braden Bristo struck out two batters in a 1-2-3 ninth to get his seventh save of the year.
Staten Island Yankees (Short-Season): The Yankees (21-17) rallied for a 6-5 victory over the Batavia Muckdogs.
- Andres Chaparro went 1-for-4 with an RBI double in the sixth (15).
- Jesus Bastidas was 2-for-3 with a walk and he had an RBI single in the sixth (8).
- Eric Wagaman (2-for-4) also had an RBI double in the sixth (12).
- Brandon Lockridge was 1-for-1 and drew three walks.
- Jhalan Jackson began his rehab assignment and was 1-for-3 with a double.
- Luis Rijo had a quality start in his Staten Island debut. He went six innings, gave up two runs on eight hits, struck out three, and walked two on 83 pitches (59 strikes).
- Abel Durate (4-1) got the win in relief. He allowed three runs (one earned) on two hits and struck out two over two innings.
- Christian Morris struck out a batter in a 1-2-3 ninth as he got his fourth save of the year.
Pulaski Yankees (Rookie): The Yankees (16-20) lost 2-1 to the Johnson City Cardinals.
- Griffin Garabito went 1-for-3 with an RBI double in the bottom of the fifth (2).
- Nelson Gomez had the only multi-hit game (2-for-4, double).
- Bryan Blanton allowed one hit in a scoreless fifth inning.
- Jhonatan Munoz (1-1) allowed two runs on three hits, struck out three, and walked one in the sixth as he took the loss.
- Ron Marinaccio allowed two hits and struck out four while not giving up a run in the final three innings.
Gulf Coast Yankees (Rookie): Both Gulf Coast League Yankees squads lost on Thursday. The West (14-13) lost 5-3 to the GCL Phillies East while the East (10-18) lost 4-2 to GCL Tigers West.
- Jose Villa was 1-for-4 with a stolen base an RBI (18).
- Jesus Severino (1-for-4) had the other RBI for the Yankees (7).
- Isaiah Pasteur was 2-for-4 with a double and a stolen base.
- Borinquen Mendez led the team in hits (3-for-3).
- Yoendrys Gomez got the start. He struck out three hitters and walked one over two hitless innings.
- Jose Peguero gave up two hits and struck out two over 1.1 scoreless innings of relief.
- Derek Craft (0-1) took the loss. In two innings of work, he gave up two runs on three hits and struck out four.
- Stanley Rosario (1-for-4) hit a solo home run in the bottom of the fourth (2).
- Antonio Cabello was 1-for-5 with an RBI (17).
- Mitchell Robinson went 3-for-4 with a double.
- Luis Santos also had a multi-hit game (2-for-3, stolen base).
- Carlos D. Rodriguez had a quality start in a no-decision. He went six innings, gave up three runs (one earned) on three hits, struck out five, and walked two.
- Edward Paredes struck out two hitters and walked one in two hitless innings of relief.
- Bringnel Mendez (0-1) allowed two runs on two hits, struck out one, and walked two in the ninth as he took the loss.
Dominican Summer League (Rookie): The DSL Yankees (18-28) lost 2-1 to the DSL Twins.
- Miguel Marte was 1-for-3 with a stolen base, a double and an RBI (21).
- Alan Mejia was 1-for-2 with a double, a stolen base, and two walks.
- Carlos Moreno had the other hit for the Yankees (1-for-4).
- Alfred Vega (1-5) went five innings, gave up two runs (one earned) on five hits, struck out two, and walked two in a loss.
- Thowar Martinez allowed one hit and struck out five over three scoreless innings to finish the game.