Since the New York Yankees had the night off, all five minor league affiliates had the spotlight on Thursday night. In those five games, the teams combined for a 2-3 record. In the lone wins, one pitcher struck out ten over eight shutout innings and another affiliate got its record back to the .500 mark. Check out some of the key performances in Thursday night’s action:
Scranton Wilkes-Barre Railriders (Triple-A): The Railriders (26-32) were unable to hold an early lead in their 5-4 loss to the Durham Bulls.
- Clint Frazier went 1-for-4 with a double and he drove in a run via a sacrifice fly in the third (9).
- Mike Ford (2-for-5) had the other multi-hit game for the Railriders in the loss.
- Chance Adams got the start in this game. He went five innings, gave up four runs on six hits, struck out nine, and walked four on 100 pitches (62 strikes) in a no-decision.
- Joe Harvey (1-2) picked up the loss in relief. He went three innings, gave up a run on two hits, and struck out one.
- J.P. Feyereisen struck out two of the three batters he faced in a perfect ninth inning.
Trenton Thunder (Double-A): The Thunder (34-24) lost to the Richmond Flying Squirrels, 6-3.
- Abiatal Avelino (2-for-4) had an RBI groundout in the fifth (17).
- Ryan McBroom (1-for-3, walk) drove in his 11th run of the year in the first (groundout).
- Chace Numata (2-for-4) and Jeff Hendrix (2-for-5) had the other multi-hit games in the loss.
- Ryan Bollinger (3-1) picked up his first loss of the year with Trenton. In 3.2 innings of work, he gave up six runs on six hits, struck out five, and walked three on 92 pitches (55 strikes).
- David Sosebee followed up Bollinger by striking out two batters and walking one in 1.1 innings.
- James Reeves struck out three batters in three perfect innings.
- Caleb Frare struck out two of the three batters he faced in a 1-2-3 ninth inning.
Tampa Tarpons (Single-A Advanced): The Tarpons (32-28) defeated the St. Lucie Mets 4-1 for the second straight night.
- Isiah Gilliam (1-for-4) increased his RBI total on the season to 34 with a base hit in the bottom of the sixth.
- Ben Ruta (2-for-4, double, triple) and Brandon Wagner (2-for-4) had the multi-hit games for the Tarpons.
- Diego Castillo (1-for-3) drove in a run with a base hit in the second (17).
- Adonis Rosa (6-1) was dominant on the mound. He went eight innings, gave up no runs on six hits, and struck out ten on 111 pitches (76 strikes) in the win.
- Matt Wivinis gave up a run on two hits and struck out two in the ninth.
Charleston Riverdogs (Single-A): The Riverdogs (29-29) picked up their third straight win, 4-2, against the Columbia Fireflies.
- Leonardo Molina had the other multi-hit game (2-for-4) and drove in a run on a base hit in the second (17).
- Chris Hess (0-for-3) drove in his 20th run of the season with a sacrifice fly.
- Jio Orozco got the no-decision in his outing. He went 5.2 innings, gave up two runs on four hits, struck out three, and walked two on 91 pitches (59 strikes).
- Daniel Ramos (4-2) allowed two hits and walked two batters over 1.1 innings of relief as he got the win.
- Braden Bristo struck out five batters and walked one in two hitless innings as he got his third save of the season.
Dominican Summer League (Rookie): The DSL Yankees (3-2) lost to the DSL Phillies Red squad, 4-1.
- Sandy Mota (1-for-4) drove in the lone run of the game with an RBI double in the top of the sixth (4).
- Antonio Cabello (2-for-3, walk, stolen base) had the lone multi-hit game for the Yankees.
- Jhonatan Munoz threw five shutout innings in his start. He gave up two hits and struck out two.
- Alfred Vega (0-1) took the loss in relief. He went three innings, gave up four runs (three earned) on six hits, struck out two batters, and walked two.