It was an exciting Tuesday in the New York Yankees organization. The big league club and its affiliates combined for a 5-3 record and the Yankees are going to be adding Zach Britton to their bullpen. There were shutouts by the Yankees and by Trenton. Meanwhile, a Charleston third baseman hit his fifth home run of the month. Find out who those players are and much more in our Pinstriped Performances:
New York Yankees (MLB): The Yankees (64-35) held the Rays to three hits in a 4-0 win.
- Neil Walker was 2-for-3 with a walk and an RBI single in the top of the ninth (22).
- Austin Romine did not have a hit (0-for-3), but he did drive in a pair of runs (27,28).
- Miguel Andujar and Greg Bird both went 2-for-4 with a double.
- Didi Gregorius (0-for-4) had an RBI groundout in the first (56).
- Masahiro Tanaka (8-2) threw a complete game shutout in a win. He allowed three hits, struck out nine, and walked one on 102 pitches (74 strikes).
Scranton Wilkes-Barre Railriders (Triple-A): The Railriders (52-48) had their game against the Charlotte Knights suspended due to rain. The Railriders are down 2-1 in the bottom of the third. They will resume the game Wednesday afternoon at 5:05 p.m before playing the originally scheduled game.
- Mike Ford hit a solo home run in the bottom of the second (11).
- Shane Robinson has the other hit for the Railriders (1-for-1).
Trenton Thunder (Double-A): The Thunder (55-46) were on the winning side of a pitchers duel as they defeated the Hartford Yard Goats, 1-0.
- Devyn Bolasky and Zack Zehner both went 2-for-4 out of the top two spots in the order.
- Jorge Saez also had a multi-hit game (2-for-3).
- Brian Keller (7-7) went 5.2 innings, allowed no runs on seven hits, and struck out six on 95 pitches (64 strikes).
- Phillip Diehl allowed one hit, struck out two, and walked one in a scoreless sixth.
- Brady Lail allowed two hits, struck out a batter, and walked one in 1.1 scoreless innings of relief.
- Caleb Frare struck out a batter in a 1-2-3 ninth as he got his fifth save of the year.
Tampa Tarpons (Single-A Advanced): The Tarpons (50-51) defeated the Bradenton Marauders, 8-3.
- Isiah Gilliam was 2-for-4 with a double, a walk, and he hit a two-run home run in the bottom of the second (12).
- Angel Aguilar was 2-for-4 with three RBIs (32,33,34).
- Dom Thompson-Williams (1-for-4) got the scoring started with a two-run single in the first (32,33).
- Diego Castillo went 2-for-4 with a walk.
- Gleyber Torres continued his rehab assignment and went 0-for-2 with a walk and a strikeout.
- Garrett Whitlock (4-2) went 5.1 innings, gave up three runs on four hits, struck out three, and walked four on 90 pitches (53 strikes) in a win.
- Trevor Lane walked a batter and struck out one in 1.2 hitless innings.
- Matt Frawley retired all six batters he faced in the final two innings.
Charleston Riverdogs (Single-A): The Riverdogs (48-50) defeated the Augusta GreenJackets, 5-1.
- Oswaldo Cabrera went 1-for-4 and had a two-run double in the first (41,42).
- Mitchell Hansen also had a multi-hit game (2-for-3, walk).
- Reiver Sanmartin (1-3) picked up his first win with the Riverdogs. He went six innings, gave up a run on four hits, and struck out five on 85 pitches (63 strikes) in the win.
- Daniel Ramos allowed two hits and struck out four over the final three innings as he got his second save of the year.
Staten Island Yankees (Short-Season): The Yankees (20-16) began their series against the Batavia Muckdogs with a 7-1 win.
- Kyle Gray went 1-for-3 with a walk and hit a two-run home run in the fourth (1).
- Jesus Bastidas led the team in hits as he went 3-for-4.
- Eduardo Torrealba (1-for-4) had an RBI groundout in the second (8).
- Rodney Hutchison went four innings, gave up one run on one hit, struck out three batters, and walked one on 52 pitches (35 strikes).
- Chase Hodson did not allow a hit in a 1-2-3 fifth.
- Garrett Mundell (2-2) allowed two hits and struck out five over three scoreless innings as he got the win.
- Christian Morris struck out two batters and walked one in a scoreless ninth.
Pulaski Yankees (Rookie): The Yankees (15-19) lost 9-3 to the Johnson City Cardinals.
- Ezequiel Duran went 1-for-5 with an RBI double in the bottom of the first (10).
- Carlos Narvaez (1-for-3, walk) drove in a run on a single in the first (5).
- Evan Alexander (0-for-3) had an RBI groundout in the fourth (5).
- Alexander Vizcaino (1-3) went two innings, gave up five runs on six hits, struck out two, and walked two on 64 pitches (33 strikes) in a loss.
- Carlos Espinal allowed one hit, struck out five, and walked one in four scoreless innings of relief.
- Brett Morales went 2.2 innings, allowed three runs on four hits, struck out six, and walked one.
Gulf Coast League (Rookie): The West squad (13-12) had their game rained out while the East (10-17) lost 7-3 to the GCL Blue Jays.
- Jose Villa went 2-for-2 with a double.
- Ryder Green had the other extra-base hit as he went 1-for-3 with a double and a walk.
- Isaiah Pasteur (1-for-2) and Sandy Mota (1-for-4) were the other players with hits.
- Chaz Hebert allowed one hit and walked a batter in the first two innings.
- Jairo Garcia allowed one hit, struck out a batter, and walked one in a scoreless third.
- Tyler Johnson did not give up a hit over the final 1.1 innings.
Dominican Summer League (Rookie): The DSL Yankees (17-27) lost 6-5 to the DSL Rockies in 10 innings.
- Dionys Vallejo went 2-for-4 with four RBIs (6,7,8,9). Two of those runs came via a home run in the top of the second (2).
- Ronny Rojas was 2-for-3 with a double, two walks, and a stolen base.
- Miguel Marte went 2-for-5 with a double.
- Deivi Munoz had a multi-hit day (2-for-4).
- Yon Castro got the start. He went four innings, gave up four runs on five hits, struck out three, and walked two in a no-decision.
- Carlos Santana allowed one hit, struck out a batter, and walked two in 1.1 scoreless innings.
- Diego Cordero (3-2) ended up being the losing pitcher. He allowed one run on one hit and struck out a batter in 1.1 innings of work.