While the New York Yankees did not make a trade on July 31, every affiliate was in action on Tuesday. In the 11 games tha were played (GCL East had a doubleheader), the teams combined for a 3-8 record. The big league club got a win and a starter in Trenton got his ERA down to 1.99 for the year (combined Trenton and Tampa). Plus, this year’s FIrst Round pick in the MLB Draft was promoted up a level and made his debut behind the plate. Find out more about those players in our Pinstriped Performances.
New York Yankees (MLB): The Yankees (68-37) began their two-game series against the Baltimore Orioles with a 6-3 win.
- Didi Gregorius went 2-for-3 with a walk and an RBI single in the bottom of the third (60).
- Miguel Andujar (1-for-4) hit a three-run home run in the fifth (13).
- Gleyber Torres (1-for-4) got the scoring started with a base hit in the first (45).
- Masahiro Tanaka (9-2) had a strong outing on the mound. He threw six shutout innings, allowed three hits, struck out eight, and walked two on 105 pitches (66 strikes) in a win.
- Dellin Betances allowed a hit and struck out two in 2/3 of an inning.
- Aroldis Chapman struck out the side in the ninth for his 29th save of the year.
Scranton Wilkes-Barre Railriders (Triple-A): The Railriders (56-50) lost 8-3 to the Rochester Red Wings.
- Zack Zehner went 2-for-3 and had an RBI single in the seventh (27).
- Abiatal Avelino was 1-for-4 with an RBI triple in the seventh (31).
- Luke Voit was 1-for-4 in his Yankees organizational debut.
- Luis Cessa got the start and his outing was short. He gave up a run on two hits and struck out two hitters in the first on 20 pitches (13 strikes).
- Brady Lail (1-2) took the loss in relief and allowed a home run to Tyler Austin. He gave up three runs on four hits, struck out two, and walked a batter over 1.2 innings.
Trenton Thunder (Double-A): The Thunder (60-47) edged out a 3-2 win over the Reading Fightin Phils’
- Jorge Saez (0-for-3, walk, stolen base) drove in a run on an error in the fourth (6).
- Gosuke Katoh (1-for-5) and Wendell Rijo (1-for-4, walk) both had a double.
- Michael King (6-2) went seven innings, gave up two runs on five hits, struck out eight, and walked one on 88 pitches (62 strikes in a win.
- Phillip Diehl allowed one hit, struck out a batter, and walked one over the final two innings as he got his first save of the year.
Tampa Tarpons (Single-A Advanced): The Tarpons (54-52) lost their series opener to the Clearwater Threshers, 4-2.
- Hoy Jun Park (1-for-4) also had an RBI single in the seventh (23).
- Isiah Gilliam had the other hit for the Tarpons as he was 1-for-4.
- Garrett Whitlock (4-3) went 4.1 innings, allowed three runs on seven hits, struck out four, and walked two on 96 pitches (63 strikes).
- Kaleb Ort followed up Whitlock. In 2.2 innings of work, he allowed one run on two hits, struck out three, and walked one.
- Kyle Zurak gave up one hit and struck out a batter in a scoreless eighth.
Charleston Riverdogs (Single-A): The Riverdogs (50-55) lost to the Hickory Crawdads by a final score of 7-3.
- Carlos Vidal was 0-for-2 with two walks, a stolen base, and an RBI groundout in the top of the fifth (18).
- Oswaldo Cabrera (1-for-4) had the only extra-base hit for the Riverdogs (double).
- Deivi Garcia (5-4) went six innings, gave up five runs on four hits, struck out seven, and walked two on 81 pitches (56 strikes) in a loss.
- Austin DeCarr allowed two runs on three hits and struck out three over the final two innings.
Staten Island Yankees (Short-Season): The Yankees (23-20) lost a 7-5 game to the Aberdeen Ironbirds.
- Andy Diaz (1-for-3, walk) drove in his first run of the year on an RBI groundout in the ninth.
- Alex Junior was 0-for-3 with two RBIs (7,8).
- Jesus Bastidas had a multi-hit game as he went 2-for-3.
- Matt Sauer (2-3) went five innings, allowed six runs (five earned) on nine hits, struck out three, and walked one on 82 pitches (52 strikes) in a loss.
- Abel Duarte came in after Sauer. In two innings of work, he gave up one run on two hits, struck out two, and walked two.
- Aaron McGarity allowed one hit and struck out two over the final two innings.
Pulaski Yankees (Rookie): The Yankees (17-23) lost 6-4 to the Burlington Royals in 10 innings.
- Juan De Leon went 1-for-4 and hit a three-run home run in the bottom of the second (4).
- Ezequiel Duran (0-for-5) had an RBI groundout in the 10th (15).
- Robert Javier and Max Burt both went 1-for-3 with a walk.
- Alexander Vizcaino started the game. He went 2.1 innings, allowed one run on three hits and struck out two on 32 pitches (22 strikes).
- Austin Gardner came in after Vizcaino. In 3.2 innings of work, he allowed two hits, struck out five, and walked one.
- Ron Marinaccio (0-2) was the losing pitcher in extra innings. He allowed three runs (two earned) on four hits, struck out two, and walked one.
Gulf Coast League (Rookie)
GCL East: The East squad (12-23) split a doubleheader with the GCL Pirates. They won Game 1, 2-0. However, they lost Game 2, 12-4.
- Ryder Green was 0-for-3 with an RBI (9).
- Borinquen Mendez also went 0-for-3 with an RBI (6).
- Jesus Severino was 1-for-4 with a triple.
- Alexander Santana was 1-for-2 with a double.
- Yoendrys Gomez (2-1) threw five shutout innings in his outing. He allowed two hits, struck out three, and walked two in a win.
- Tyler Johnson allowed two hits and struck out two while not giving up a run in the final two innings as he got his first save.
- Asdrubal Alvarez was 1-for-4 with a pair of RBIs (9,10).
- Pedro Diaz went 0-for-3. However, he did drive in a pair of runs (7,8).
- Raymundo Moreno had the only multi-hit game (2-for-3).
- Starlin Paulino had the only extra-base hit (1-for-3, double).
- Charlie Ruegger got the no-decision in his start. He went two innings and allowed one run on two hits.
- Alex Mejias (4-2) took the loss in relief. In two innings of work, he allowed six runs on five hits and walked two batters.
- Josh Maciejewski allowed two hits and struck out a batter in the final 1.2 innings of the game.
GCL West: The West team (16-16) lost a suspended game to the GCL Phillies West, 7-3.
- Antonio Cabello was 3-for-5 with a solo home run in the top of the first (5).
- Mitchell Robinson went 1-for-3 with a double and an RBI (8).
- Meure Rodriguez was 1-for-3 with a walk and an RBI (3).
- Kenily Montas (0-5) took the loss in his start. He went 4.1 innings, gave up six runs (two earned) on eight hits, struck out four, and walked three.
- Edward Paredes pitched 2.2 innings of relief. He allowed one run on one hit, walked one, and struck out a batter.
- Bringnel Mendez allowed one hit in a scoreless eighth inning.
Dominican Summer League (Rookie): The DSL Yankees (20-30) lost to the DSL Angels in walk-off fashion, 9-8.
- Nelson Medina was 3-for-6 with a double, a stolen base, and two RBIs (10,11).
- Carlos Moreno went 3-for-4 with a double, a triple, and drove two runs (5,6).
- Angel Rojas (2-for-6) drove in his 22nd run of the year.
- Alan Mejia also had a multi-hit game (2-for-5).
- Bias Castano went three innings in his start as he got a no-decision. He allowed four runs (two earned) on two hits and walked five without striking out anyone.
- Abel Estevez came in after Castano. He gave up three runs on two hits, struck out five, and walked one over two innings.
- Franyer Hernandez allowed one hit and struck out a batter over two scoreless innings.
- Diego Cordero (3-3) was the losing pitcher in relief. He allowed two runs on two hits, struck out three, and walked two in 1.1 innings of work.