While the big league club did not get a win on Wednesday, the New York Yankees had a successful day as a whole in the organization as the affiliates combined for a 6-2 record. The Trenton Thunder had their second straight shutout against Hartford and one Charleston pitcher picked up a career-high in strikeouts on the mound. Find out who that pitcher is in our Pinstriped Performances:
New York Yankees (MLB): The Yankees (64-36) lost the series finale to the Tampa Bay Rays, 3-2.
- Neil Walker (1-for-1) had a sacrifice fly in the top of the second (23).
- Giancarlo Stanton went 1-for-3 with a stolen base and had a sacrifice fly in the eighth (60).
- Miguel Andujar had the only multi-hit game (2-for-4).
- Luis Cessa (1-2) went 5.1 innings, gave up two runs on four hits and struck out three batters on 74 pitches (48 strikes) in a loss.
- A.J. Cole struck out two batters in a 1-2-3 seventh inning.
- Dellin Betances gave up a hit and struck out two in a scoreless eighth.
Scranton Wilkes-Barre (Triple-A): The Railriders (52-46) were unable to get any of their games in against the Charlotte Knights. They will resume Tuesday’s suspended game on Thursday at 12:05 p.m with Charlotte leading 3-1 in the top of the fifth and then play a seven-inning game after that as the originally scheduled game. Wednesday’s game will end up being canceled.
Trenton Thunder (Double-A): The Thunder (56-46) held the Hartford Yard Goats to four hits in a 9-0 win. They have thrown back-to-back shutouts.
- Mandy Alvarez went 2-for-5 with a pair of doubles and an RBI (42).
- Trey Amburgey was 1-for-4 with two stolen bases and an RBI groundout (54).
- Wendell Rijo (1-for-3, walk) had an RBI double in the bottom of the second (5).
- Kyle Holder (1-for-4) had a sacrifice fly in the third (4).
- Jeff Hendrix (1-for-4, stolen base) had an RBI single in the fifth (16).
- Ryan Bollinger (5-4) went six innings, allowed no runs on three hits, struck out two, and walked three on 87 pitches (54 strikes) in a win.
- David Sosebee struck out the side in a 1-2-3 seventh.
- Jordan Foley allowed one hit and walked a batter over the final two innings to preserve the shutout.
Tampa Tarpons (Single-A Advanced): The Tarpons (51-51) got their record back to .500 with a 9-6 win over the Bradenton Marauders.
- Donny Sands went 2-for-4 with a double and he drove in three runs (3,4,5) in the first two innings.
- Isiah Gilliam (1-for-2, walk) drove in two RBIs (57,58).
- Diego Castillo (1-for-4, walk) had an RBI single in the bottom of the third (36).
- Rashad Crawford went 1-for-4 with an RBI double in the second (9).
- Steven Sensley (1-for-4) had an RBI single in the first (4).
- Ronald Torreyes was back in the lineup and he went 1-for-4.
- Adonis Rosa (11-3) went 6.2 innings, allowed three runs on seven hits, struck out six, and walked one on 107 pitches (79 strikes) in a win.
- Andrew Schwaab allowed two hits and walked a batter over 1.1 scoreless innings.
- Matt Wivinis allowed a hit and struck out a batter in the ninth as he got his eighth save.
Charleston Riverdogs (Single-A): The Riverdogs (49-50) picked up a 4-1 win over the Augusta Green Jackets.
- Ricky Surum (1-for-4) had an RBI double in the third (4).
- Carlos Vidal went 2-for-3 with a walk out of the leadoff spot.
- Jason Lopez was 2-for-3 with a walk.
- Deivi Garcia (2-3) was dominant on the mound. In six innings of work, he allowed no runs on two hits and struck out 12 (career-high) on 96 pitches (62 strikes) in a win.
- Anderson Severino allowed a run on two hits and struck out three over two innings of relief.
- Kyle Zurak struck out a batter in a 1-2-3 ninth for his 10th save of the year.
Staten Island Yankees (Short-Season): The Yankees (20-17) lost 5-4 to the Batavia Muckdogs.
- Jackson Thoreson (1-for-3) had an RBI single in the top of the third (3).
- Jesus Bastidas was 1-for-2 with a sacrifice fly (7).
- Eric Wagaman (1-for-4) and Canaan Smith (1-for-3) both had a double.
- Matt Sauer (2-2) got the loss in his outing. He went five innings, gave up five runs on seven hits and struck out four on 85 pitches (48 strikes).
- Brooks Kriske allowed two hits, struck out four batters, and walked one over two shutout innings.
- Aaron McGarity allowed a hit in a scoreless eighth.
Pulaski Yankees (Rookie): The Yankees (16-19) defeated the Johnson City Cardinals, 12-6 due to a nine-run sixth inning.
- Everson Pereira (1-for-5) hit a three-run home run in the bottom of the sixth (3).
- Nelson Gomez went 3-for-4 with a pair of doubles and an RBI (12).
- Robert Javier was 1-for-3 with a double and a pair of RBIs (12,13).
- Jordan Scott (2-for-3) had a double and an RBI (7).
- Carlos Narvaez was 1-for-5 with an RBI (6).
- Daniel Bies got the start for Pulaski. He went three innings, allowed one run on one hit, and struck out five on 42 pitches (28 strikes).
- Austin Gardner (1-0) went 2.1 innings, allowed no runs on three hits and struck out five in a win in relief.
- Marcus Evey allowed two runs on four hits, struck out three batters, and walked one over the final three innings as he got his first save.
Gulf Coast League (Rookie): The West squad (14-12) picked up a 4-3 win over the GCL Blue Jays.
- Anthony Seigler was 1-for-3 with an RBI (3).
- Luis Santos (1-for-3) was the only other Yankee with a hit.
- Jose Martinez (0-for-3) did not have a hit, but he drove in his 12th run of the year.
- Kenily Montas (1-4) got his first win of the season. He went five innings, gave up one run on six hits, struck out six, and walked one.
- Nestor Oronel came in after Montas. He gave up two runs on four hits and struck out four in two innings of work.
- Kyle Johnson allowed a hit and struck out two in a scoreless eighth.
- Jackson Bertsch struck out a batter in a 1-2-3 ninth as he got his third save.
Dominican Summer League (Rookie): The DSL Yankees (18-27) defeated the DSL Twins, 11-2.
- Alan Mejia went 4-for-4 with a double, a triple, a solo home run (1) in the bottom of the fourth, and drove in three runs (1,2,3).
- Mario Morillo (1-for-2) hit a solo shot in the fourth and drove in two runs (4,5).
- Angel Rojas (1-for-5) hit a three-run home run in the seventh (4). He is at 20 RBIs for the year.
- Deivi Munoz went 2-for-3 with two stolen bases and had two RBIs (5,6).
- Bryant Arrieche had a multi-hit game (2-for-4).
- Cristian Sumoza allowed an unearned run on one hit, struck out two batters, and walked five over four innings of work in a no-decision.
- Bias Castano (1-3) pitched the final five innings in a win. He allowed a run on two hits and struck out three.