It was a winning Fourth Of July in the New York Yankees organization on Wednesday as the teams combined to go 6-4 in the ten games that were played. The big league club hit three home runs against the Braves while one of its starters made a rehab start for Scranton Wilkes-Barre. Meanwhile, a Tampa starter threw seven strong innings and a Staten Island outfielder had the most RBIs of any player in the organization (4). Check out those players were and much more in our Pinstriped Performances:
New York Yankees (MLB): The Yankees (56-28) defeated the Atlanta Braves 6-2 and won two out of three games in the series.
- Giancarlo Stanton (1-for-4) hit a three-run home run in the bottom of the third (21).
- Kyle Higashioka (1-for-3) hit a solo home run in the fourth (3) and has three home runs in the last four games.
- Aaron Judge went 1-for-4 and hit a solo home run in the seventh (24).
- Didi Gregorius (2-for-4, double) had the lone multi-hit game.
- C.C. Sabathia (6-3) had a quality start in a win. He went six innings, gave up two runs on five hits, struck out five, and walked three on 103 pitches (68 strikes).
- Chad Green gave up two hits in a scoreless seventh.
- Dellin Betances and Jonathan Holder each did not allow a run and just one hit over the final two innings (Betances struck out two in the eighth).
Scranton Wilkes-Barre Railriders (Triple-A): The Railriders (43-40) scored all of their runs in the seventh inning during their 4-2 win over the Buffalo Bisons. They have won three games in a row.
- Tyler Wade (1-for-4) broke a 2-2 tie in the bottom of the seventh with a two-run double (17,18). (Cheryl Pursell)
- Zack Zehner (1-for-3) got the scoring started with a base hit (21).
- Francisco Diaz (1-for-3) tied the game on a single (2).
- Clint Frazier had the lone multi-hit game (2-for-3, double, walk).
- Stephen Tarpley (1-0) gave up a hit and struck out three in two innings as he got the win in relief.
- Giovanny Gallegos gave up a hit and struck out a batter over the final two innings as he got his first save of the year.
Trenton Thunder (Double-A): The Thunder (48-36) started their series against the Altoona Curve with an 8-3 win.
- Wendell Rijo went 3-for-5 with two doubles and an RBI (2).
- Mandy Alvarez was 2-for-4 and had an RBI infield single in the third (37).
- Ryan Lidge went 2-for-4 and had a two-run single in the fourth (3,4).
- Ryan Bollinger (4-3) got the win for Trenton. He went six innings, gave up a run on four hits, struck out nine, and walked four on 106 pitches (67 strikes).
Tampa Tarpons (Single-A Advanced): The Tarpons (42-41) began their series against the Clearwater Threshers with a 5-1 victory.
- Brandon Wagner (1-for-4) hit a two-run home run in the bottom of the seventh (16).
- Diego Castillo went 2-for-4 with an RBI single in the seventh (30).
- David Metzgar (1-for-3) had an RBI single in the fourth (3).
- Ricky Surum was 3-for-3 with a double and a stolen base in his first game with Tampa.
- Dom Thompson-Williams had a multi-hit game (2-for-4).
- Matt Frawley gave up a hit and struck out two batters over the final two innings.
Charleston Riverdogs (Single-A): The Riverdogs (41-39) lost the series opener to the Augusta GreenJackets, 4-3.
- Dermis Garcia (1-for-3, walk) hit a solo home run in the fourth (6).
- Wilkerman Garcia (2-for-4, stolen base) drove in a run on a double in the eighth (25).
- Deivi Garcia (1-2) went five innings, gave up three runs (two earned) on six hits, struck out seven, and walked one on 84 pitches (52 strikes) in a loss.
- Dalton Higgins gave up a run on two hits, struck out three, and walked one over three innings.
- Anderson Severino threw a perfect ninth inning.
Staten Island Yankees (Short-Season): The Yankees (7-12) began their series against the Hudson Valley Renegades with a 7-3 win.
- Canaan Smith was the star on offense. He went 2-for-4 with a two-run home run in the bottom of the third (1) and drove in four runs (6,7,8,9).
- Miguel Flames went 1-for-4 with an RBI in his first game with Staten Island (single in the seventh).
- Jerry Seitz (1-for-2) got the scoring started with a sacrifice fly in the second (3).
- Andres Chaparro went 2-for-4 and is hitting .315 on the season.
- Christian Morris gave up two runs on three hits and struck out four over 2.1 innings.
- Chase Hodson finished the game by allowing a hit and striking out two in 2/3 of an inning.
Pulaski Yankees (Rookie): The Yankees (6-9) lost to the Bluefield Blue Jays 2-0 in ten innings.
- Evan Alexander (1-for-5) had the lone extra-base hit (triple).
- Saul Torres went 1-for-2 with two walks.
- Luis Gil got the start and went just 1.1 innings. He allowed one hit, struck out four, and walked three on 48 pitches (26 strikes).
- Gilmael Troya struck out four batters and walked one in 2.2 hitless innings.
- Wellington Diaz allowed two hits, struck out five, and walked three in 4.1 scoreless innings.
- Bryan Blanton (0-3) took the loss in relief. He gave up two runs (one earned) on one hit, struck out three, and walked one over 1.2 innings.
Gulf Coast League (Rookie): The two Gulf Coast League squads lost their games on Wednesday. The East team (3-9) lost 11-4 to the GCL Braves and the West team (5-6) lost 7-0 to GCL Tigers West.
- Jesus Severino was 2-for-4 with a pair of doubles, a stolen base, and an RBI (2).
- Sandy Mota was 1-for-3 with an RBI (5).
- Asdrubal Alvarez came in for Mota and went 1-for-1 with an RBI of his own (2).
- Nestor Oronel only got two outs in the first inning. He gave up an unearned run on one hit, struck out a batter, and walked one.
- Tyler Johnson walked a batter and struck out one in a hitless inning.
- Yoiber Marquina (0-1) did not give up a hit in the loss. He allowed three runs (one earned), struck out three, and walked two over 1.2 innings.
- Jose Peguero allowed a hit and struck out two in 1.1 scoreless innings.
- Keegan Curtis allowed a hit and struck out two in the ninth.
- Clarke Schmidt got the start in this game. He allowed two hits and struck out three in 2.1 innings.
- Nelvin Correa (1-2) took the loss. He gave up a run on two hits, struck out five, and walked one over three innings.
- Havid Burgos walked two batters and struck out one in 2/3 of an inning. He hasn’t allowed a run in four games this year.
Dominican Summer League (Rookie): The DSL Yankees (14-14) defeated DSL Mets 1, 6-2.
- Deivi Munoz went 3-for-4 with two doubles and an RBI (2).
- Nelson Medina (1-for-4) had a double and an RBI (6).
- Miguel Marte was 1-for-4 with a double and an RBI (15).
- Randy Vasquez did not allow a hit in the first 3.1 innings. He struck out four and walked three.
- Yon Castro (2-2) went 4.1 innings, gave up two runs on five hits, and struck out four in the win.
- Wilser Barrios gave up a hit and struck out two over the final 1.1 innings of the game. He hasn’t given up a run in six appearances this season.