The long offseason is over and baseball is back in full swing. This past week began with the New York Yankees having their first full-squad workout. By the conclusion of the week, the team has already been playing games.
The team did have a couple of roster moves. First, Billy McKinney was invited to camp as a nonroster invitee to fill the void caused by the injuries to Tyler Austin and Mason Williams last week. Richard Bleier had been designated for assignment to make room on the roster for the newly signed Chris Carter. This week he was traded to the Baltimore Orioles. Free agent Jonathon Niese has signed a minor league contract and invited to camp.
The team also experienced more injuries. Ronald Herrera will be out for two weeks because of his shoulder. James Reeves will miss four with elbow problems.
Off the field, Derek Jeter hosted a dinner for members of his Captain’s Camp. These are top prospects within the organization. The former shortstop spent time talking with and answering questions for the young men.
Among this week’s guest instructors was recently retired, Nick Swisher and Alex Rodriguez. Rodriguez was in camp for several days and also took many of the top prospects to dinner for a time of questions and answers.
On the field, the Yankees split their first two games with the Philadelphia Phillies. The highlights from the prospects include monster home runs from both Aaron Judge and Kyle Higashioka. Miguel Andujar has gone 3-4 with a double, triple, RBI, and three runs scored. Clint Frazier and Dustin Fowler each hitting a triple. Top prospect Gleyber Torres has contributed a pair of doubles, two runs scored and 3 RBIs. On the mound, Ben Heller and Jonathon Holder combined to strike out 5 out of the six men they faced in their two perfect innings.
In case you have missed the stories from earlier this week, here they are again:
- James Vlietstra tells us to keep an eye on the hard-throwing teenager, Luis Medina.
- Paul Pagnato informs of the latest camp injuries.
- Robert Pimpsner reveals the Bleier trade with the Orioles.
- James Vlietstra brings the news that outfielder Billy McKinney has been invited to camp.
- Robert Pimpsner writes about the Yankees signing lefty Jon Niese
- Paul Pagnato delivers the players that make the Yankees this year’s second best farm system
- Jed Weisberger discusses the future of the former first round pick, Billy McKinney
- Paul Pagnato breaks down why MiLB.com ranks the Yankees position prospects the best in baseball
- James Vlietstra profiles Yankees prospect, Dietrich Enns
- Vito Malacari profiles Yankees minor league pitcher Brady Lail
- James Vlietstra profiles Yankees left-handed starter Ian Clarkin